Thursday, March 29, 2007

Still Missing HK

It's been four months since I've returned home, and I find myself still missing my time in Hong Kong. I miss the people I met there. I miss the cheap food. I miss the wonderful public transportation. I miss Lan Kwai Fong; I didn't go nearly as much as I should have. I miss having to attempt to use my limited Cantonese.

I am so glad I decided to study abroad in Hong Kong. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience. No student should miss the experience of studying abroad.

Here's a list of reasons why Hong Kong is a great place to study abroad:
  • Hong Kong is truly Asia's world city with a great mix between modernized Western culture and traditional Eastern culture.
  • The public transportation is fantastic, especially the KCR and MTR. The trains are clean, fast and efficient. There are many buses that can take you where the MTR can't. Plus there are taxis everywhere, and the fares are significantly cheaper than in the States.
  • The food is pretty cheap and really good (I miss all the bakeries!). You can find groceries from all over the world, and there are restaurants of all kinds.
  • Lan Kwai Fong - with dozens of restaurants, bars and clubs all clumped together within a few blocks on Hong Kong Island, it's so convenient to enjoy the nightlife.
  • I never felt like my safety was compromised. I have heard stories of girls getting groped on the MTR, but I'm sure it's worse in other countries.
  • Hong Kong is in a great location for travelling anywhere in Asia. Trips can be really cheap if you go during non-peak times. Southeast Asia is amazing!
  • You can get by without knowing a word of Cantonese, but the locals appreciate it when you try.
  • The shopping is amazing! There are so many malls to choose from. Many are high-end with designer brands from all over. Or you can visit the small local boutiques in Causeway Bay and Mongkok. Plus there are the street markets if you feel like practicing your bargaining skills.
If you are thinking of studying abroad, please consider Hong Kong. I would be more than happy to answer any questions.

If money is an issue that's stopping you from studying abroad (it almost stopped me from going), you can apply for a Freeman-ASIA Award. The Freeman-ASIA Program provides need-based funds to support undergraduate American students who plan to study abroad in Asia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home