Friday, November 24, 2006

CU...HK

Now that it's getting close to finals time and people's departures, we are trying to fit in as many outings as possible.

This morning Brian, Jiesi, Kim and I had a nice Hong Kong-style breakfast at a restaurant in Shatin Centre. I had some really great Ocean Empire congee with fish, shrimp, chicken and fish balls topped with green onions and peanuts. I also had some yau tiu and soy milk.

I am really sad I hadn't gone to that place earlier, because I really haven't eaten much "Hong Kong" food every time I've gone out to eat.

Afterward, Jiesi, Kim and I went to Wong Tai Sin Temple to get our fortunes told. There are three levels of fortunes (higher, middle, and lower). I got the higher fortune, Jiesi got the middle fortune, and Kim got the lower fortune.

The fortune-telling method we chose was to use the cup full of sticks, kneel down and shake the cup until one stick falls out. You remember the number you get and go to one of the many fortune-teller shacks and tell them your number. He or she takes out the poem that accompanies the number and interprets your fortune depending on what you want to know about (ex. career, love, etc.).

I decided to ask about love. The fortune-teller said that it will work out with whoever I have in mind. We will have a long-lasting relationship that gets better and better with everywhere we go. The gods will be watching over us for a successful relationship.

I forgot to ask what the poem was really about.

Afterward, I showed Jiesi and Kim the I.T. Sales Shop in Festival Walk. They were amazed by the prices of the clothes (60-80% off nice brands). We all walked out with something.

In the evening, we went to the IASP Farewell Party. It was promoted as an all-you-can-eat BBQ. Little did we know we had to grill the food ourselves on BBQ pits! Most of us were pretty upset by that. We just wanted to eat food, not cook it!

We realized that at that point in the semester, it was too late to really meet new people. The farewell party was more of a way to see people you've met throughout the semester one last time.

Everyone had their cliques, though there were some people who knew a lot more people. I don't mind that I didn't get to know a bunch of people this semester. I'm really happy with the small group of friends I've made.

There were some activities at the end, but we didn't feel like standing with the crowd around the stage to try to get a look. We just stayed at our table and chatted.

When it was nearing the end of the party, we tried to get our money's worth by taking as many drinks back home as possible. The comedy of the situation was probably the highlight of that night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home