Sunday, October 01, 2006

National Day

Today, October 1, is National Day of the People's Republic of China. My friend, Aaron, and I decided to go to Tsim Sha Tsui to catch the fireworks off Victoria Harbour. But first, we went in search of a restaurant called Hong Kong Puzzle that I found on Hong Kong Disctrict Food Guide.

We ended up doing a little shopping in the street stores on the way. I found a decent pair of black flats for HK$100.

We got to Granville Plaza and took some pictures of a pretty fountain. We found some people in uniform (who turned out to be enforcing the non-hawking rule) and asked them for directions. One of the ladies ended up calling the phone number I had written down and found out the restaurant was now defunct.

So we went in search for a restaurant and ended up at an Outback Steakhouse (there are actually a couple all over HK). I had my first big meal here in HK, and I actually took more than half of my burger home. Though I must admit this was also the most expensive meal I've had here.

We got out of the restaurant just as the fireworks had started (9:15 pm). We ran to the nearest street where we had seen tons of people gathering, but we couldn't see anything at all. So we ran around the building to another area and found a spot with a few trees in the way, but it was probably the best view we would get.

At first I wasn't really amazed, but it got a lot better toward the end. The finale was phenomenal. I had never seen or heard so many fireworks going off one after another and lighting up the whole sky. The sky kept changing colors from red to green to yellow. It reminded me of that last scene in Sleeping Beauty where the fairy godmothers keep changing the color of Aurora's dress.

Aaron pointed out how everybody says "waaah" instead of "wow" or "ooo." There was this little girl behind us that kept exclaiming "waaaah" every time new fireworks would go off. It was so cute!

After the fireworks ended, we tried to go to Avenue of Stars to see the lanterns that were supposed to be hung along the walkway. However, a few officers stopped everyone from walking in that direction and told us to walk the other way. So we made our way back toward the Nathan Road and Granville Road area to get on the KCR.

On our way, Aaron saw a perfume store and wanted to step in. He didn't find anything, but I decided to check out some fragrances because there was such a huge selection and a lot were 50% off. I ended up liking Anna Sui's "Secret Wish" and bought it for HK$165. I have no idea how they can sell their fragrances so cheap. I don't think fragrances even go on sale in America.

I've decided I like Tsim Sha Tsui a lot. There are a lot of street shops that sell decent items for a lot less than the shopping malls. Plus there are so many small salons that are so much cheaper than Salon Esprit. I'll probably head over to that area if I decide to color my hair or when I need to get a trim again.

Anyway, today was a very nice day. It was also the last day of taking antibiotics for my chest/lung infection. Tomorrow will have to be spent finishing Cantonese homework and doing some reading for class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home