Saturday, September 09, 2006

Dim Sum and Karaoke

I finally had dim sum yesterday. I went to an open, ceiling-less restaurant on the bottom floor of Maritime Square in Tsing Yi. We ordered the dishes that we knew how to say since the menu was all in Chinese and none of us could read.

The dim sum was the best I've had in a long time. I liked every dish, and I normally can't say that about dim sum restaurants in California. My mom was right about dim sum being smaller here than in America.

To top the good dining experience off, the meal was only USD$20 total, so $5 each for the four of us.

Afterward, my friend and I decided to shop along the streets in Tsim Sha Tsui. We walked along Nathan Road and Granville Road. Granville Road had lots of little boutiques with very inexpensive sale prices compared to the malls here(, which have prices nearly equivalent to American malls).

I found some casual shoes by Arnold Palmer for HKD$179, which is a lot cheaper than Converses and other big brands that go for HKD$350 and up. I've really developed a liking for the Arnold Palmer line of shoes. They're like the All Stars, but with cute little details.

Tonight I finally went karaoke in Hong Kong. I love going karaoke in SoCal, so I really wanted to go karaoke here. Unfortunately, I was utterly disappointed. First of all, the place we went to was ridiculously expensive. It was this chain called Neway that my friend heard was pretty good. When we got there I found out it would be HD$88 per person including two free non-alcoholic drinks. But then they add on these snacks and fruit plates and make you pay more. Overall it was HKD$163 per person. That's about USD$21!

I normally pay between USD$6-12 to karaoke in SoCal! And I definitely could have done without the mediocre drinks and snacks. Plus the song selection wasn't as great as the karaoke places in SoCal. But I suppose I should have guessed that there wouldn't be as good of a selection of English songs here in Hong Kong.

I'll have to ask my friend about the karaoke place she had mentioned before. She said it only costs about USD$4 for the whole night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home