Thursday, September 07, 2006

Culture Shock (or Lack Thereof)

I am nearing the end of my second week in Hong Kong and I can't say I've experienced much culture shock. Being raised by Chinese parents have exposed me to most aspects of Chinese culture, so I'm not feeling like a fish out of water as many of the non-Asian exchange students feel.

I guess I could describe what I've experienced as more of a lifestyle shock. I'm not used to eating Chinese food all the time. And I'm not used to being surrounded by nearly all Asians...A LOT of Asians at that. The crowds of people constantly on the street and in malls amazes me.

I love the public transportation here. The KCR train and MTR subway make getting around this great city so easy.

I guess the time I feel most out of place is when I'm shopping and the sales people speak Cantonese to me and I can only pick out a few words. Then I have to ask if they speak English.

I've never felt so inadequate as a Chinese American. I really don't know much Cantonese at all other than a few key phrases that I've heard over and over again from my parents.

I hope my two Cantonese classes help with that. But they are only once a week, so I need to make more of an effort to practice Cantonese with the locals here. One problem is the local students all want to practice their English. I've been told if I want to practice Cantonese, I should speak to the janitors and other school workers.

Maybe I'll try speaking Cantonese with my roommate, though her native language is Mandarin. But she does know more Cantonese than I do.

Today I am finally going to have some dimsum in the city. I hope I am not disappointed, for I have been disappointed by many Chinese restaurants in California.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home